The Global Softgel Capsules Market Size was Worth USD 8.20 billion in 2022 and is Estimated to Grow to USD 14.73 billion by 2030, With a CAGR of Approximately 7.6 % Over the Forecast From 2023 To 2030.
A type of capsule that typically uses oral drug administration is the soft gel capsule. For the elasticity and stiffness of the exterior body of these capsules, ingredients, including gelatin, pullulan, potato starch, and pectin, are used. These capsules effectively safeguard the contents and aid in improved absorption following oral use. The rising incidence of chronic conditions including cardiovascular diseases and the expanding number of clinical trials for softgel capsules drive the market demand. Additionally, as gelatin is the primary raw material used to make softgel capsules, increasing gelatin production directly impacts the sector’s growth. Additionally, rising R&D expenditures by the industry’s top players and a populace becoming more inclined toward natural products are driving the industry’s growth in the years to come.
The market is expected to rise during the forecast period as more people become health-conscious. The rising number of gyms, marathons and other sports events increases the potential of increasing demand for these capsules. The industry is also predicted to benefit from the rise in interest in leading an active, healthy lifestyle. Market share is anticipated to be greatly impacted by the escalating competition in the pharmaceutical business and the anticipated sustained growth of the healthcare sector.
The market’s progress throughout the projection period is likely to be hampered by the frequent price changes connected with soft gelatin capsules. During the period of the study, it is projected that the high price of vegetarian capsules will provide a significant obstacle to market expansion. However, several issues, including the low stability of softgel capsules containing water-soluble compounds and the high price fluctuation of softgel capsules themselves, prevent the industry’s growth.
Softgel Capsules Market: Segmentation
The global Softgel Capsules Market is Segregated based on Product, Manufacturer, and Application.
- Based on the product, the market is divided into gelatin softgel capsules and vegetarian softgel capsules. Among these, the gelatin softgel capsules category led the market in 2021 and is expected to maintain its dominance throughout the forecast period. Gelatin has been the preferred excipient among manufacturers for more than 80 years because of its unparalleled benefits over all other excipients. The factors influencing its widespread market adoption are ease of digestion, tamper-evident capsule production, outstanding mechanical resistance and seal quality, patient compliance, plentiful resource availability, and inert, and clean-label raw material. Due to the distinct qualities of bovine and porcine gelatin, producers are now creating capsules with a blend of the two. Gelatin from pigs added fluidity and clarity to the formulation, whereas gelatin from cows improved capsule hardness.
- Based on application, the market is divided into antacid and antiflatulent preparations, anti-anemic preparations (hematinic preparations), anti-inflammatory drugs, antibiotic and antibacterial drugs, cough and cold preparations, cardiovascular therapy drugs, health supplements, vitamins and dietary supplements, and other therapeutic applications. The vitamins and dietary supplements category dominated the market in 2021. B vitamins are susceptible to air oxidation and deterioration when made into tablets or gummies. As a result, softgel capsules are the greatest formulation option since they shield the ingredients from oxidation and UV radiation, extending their shelf life. According to studies, vitamins supplied in softgel capsule form are more readily absorbed in the bloodstream than vitamins administered in tablet form. Due to these benefits, vitamins are typically sold as softgel capsules, resulting in a substantial market share in the application sector.
In 2021, North America dominated the softgel capsules market because more and more vital businesses want to launch their products in industrialized nations. The most important actors work hard to win permission from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) of the United States and other regulatory bodies to increase their client bases in other places. The major businesses’ high R&D spending, accessibility to cutting-edge technology, presence in the market, and expanding R&D expenditures to diversify product offerings are all important drivers of industry growth in the area. Additionally, the presence of top pharmaceutical businesses in North America and the population’s growing awareness of health and fitness fuel regional industry demand.
Softgel Capsules Market: Competitive Landscape
- Some of the main competitors dominating the global softgel capsules market include- Aenova Group GmbH, Fuji Capsule Co., Ltd, Sirio Pharma Company Limited, Catalent, Inc, EuroCaps Ltd, Guangdong Yichao Biological Co., Ltd., Elnova Pharma, Captek Softgel International Inc, Hunan Er-Kang Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd, Soft Gel Technologies Inc., Patheon, United Labs, Curtis Health Caps, Procaps, and Delpharm Evreux.
- October 2021: Omega-3 DHA fatty acids from microalgae are found in VegaGels, which were created and produced by Aenova in collaboration with AlaskOmega AG and Algarithm. These vegan capsules have a chewable texture. The company’s product options have increased due to these product developments.
- March 2021: Roquette, a world authority in plant-based components and pharmaceutical excipients, and Delpharm Evreux have collaborated to create a new softgel capsule with a plant-based shell.
Due to the worldwide economic downturn in 2020, which COVID-19 mostly caused, the softgel capsules market witnessed a drop. Furthermore, the COVID-19 epidemic affected the supply chain in several end-user industries, including food and beverage, healthcare, and industrial. When the softgel capsule market is analyzed, it is projected to recover in 2021 and develop steadily. This is ascribed to an increase in immune system-boosting health supplements during COVID-19 and a rise in the self-care trend and the advantages of plant-based softgel capsules. Popular supplement elements known to enhance immune function include vitamin C, vitamin D, zinc, elderberry, echinacea, and probiotics, which are also offered in softgel form.
Global Softgel Capsules Market is segmented as follows:
Softgel Capsules Market by Product Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2030)
- Gelatin Softgel Capsules
- Vegetarian Softgel Capsules
Softgel Capsules Market by Manufacturers Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2030)
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Nutraceutical Companies
- Cosmeceutical Companies
- Contract Manufacturing Organizations
Softgel Capsules Market by Application Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2030)
- Antacid and Antiflatulent Preparations
- Antianemic Preparations (Hematinic Preparations)
- Anti-inflammatory Drugs
- Antibiotic and Antibacterial Drugs
- Cough and Cold Preparations
- Cardiovascular Therapy Drugs
- Health Supplements
- Vitamins and Dietary Supplements
- Other Therapeutic Applications
Softgel Capsules Market by Region Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2030)
- North America
- The UK
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- New Zealand
- South Korea
- Southeast Asia
- Rest of Southeast Asia
- The Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of the Middle East & Africa
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
|Softgel Capsules Market Report Scope
|Market Size Value in 2022
|USD 8.2 billion
|Revenue Forecast in 2030
|USD 14.73 billion
|CAGR of 7.6 % from 2023 to 2030
|Base Year for Estimation
|2017 – 2022
|2023 – 2030
|Revenue in USD million and CAGR from 2023 to 2030
|Revenue forecast, company ranking, Trends
competitive landscape, and growth factors
|Product Type, Application, Manufacturers Type, and Region
|North America; Europe; Asia Pacific; Latin America; Middle East & Africa
|U.S.; Canada; U.K.; Germany; China; India; Japan; Brazil; Mexico and Others
|Key Companies Profiled
|Aenova Group GmbH, Fuji Capsule Co., Ltd, Sirio Pharma Company Limited, Catalent, Inc, EuroCaps Ltd, Guangdong Yichao Biological Co., Ltd., Elnova Pharma, Captek Softgel International Inc, Hunan Er-Kang Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd, Soft Gel Technologies Inc., Patheon, United Labs, Curtis Health Caps, Procaps, and Delpharm Evreux.